Shredded parmesan cheese (you can shred asiago, romano, or other dry, hard cheese)
Optional: Bump it up with flavoring (cayenne pepper, garlic powder, etc)
1. Heat an ungreased pan in medium-high heat.
2. Evenly spread shredded parmesan cheese on the heated pan. (Add optional flavorings, one side only)
3. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
4. When you see the edges brown, scrape the bottom of the cheese with a turner to loosen it. Flip to crisp the other side.
Ways to enjoy your Frico:
1. It is best to use hard cheeses to make cheese crisps. I’ve tried this with cheddar cheese and other soft cheeses, and a great amount of oil leaches out, and although, the cheese can crisp out, it can be too greasy.
2. Try it out with a mix of parmesan, asiago, and romano. YUM!
3. You can bake Frico; although, frying is much more convenient for me. If you want to bake your cheese, you would need to grate your hard cheeses. Here are a few recipes:
Food Network – Alton Brown’s Parmesan Crisps
Food Network – Giada De Laurentiis’ Frico