2 tablespoons chopped shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups julienned white mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cognac
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons grated Gruyère cheese
Toasted bread, cut in lengths (as “fingers” for dipping)
1. Place chopped shallots and oil in a pan over high heat to sweat for about 30 seconds.
2. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Stir together until the mushrooms soften.
3. Mix in the cognac. (Raynal is the best of the cheapest Cognac to cook with, per my research).
4. Mix in the cream and bring to a boil. Allow the cream and mushrooms to reduce for 2-4 minutes.
5. Spoon the creamed mushrooms into four small ramekins.
6. Sprinkle the Gruyère cheese on top.
7. Break an egg into each ramekin.
8. Boil the water in your steamer, and turn down the heat to medium.
9. Steam the ramekins, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes. (You want the eggs to set, but remain runny)
10. Serve with toasted bread fingers.
100 Happy Days – Day 12
KQED More Fast Food My Way Episode 209